Sarah Fry was the first child of William Fry & Hannah Killick christened February 6th, 1784 at Frant, Sussex.
Sarah was mentioned in the will of her grandfather, John Fry, in 1785. He left her a silver cup marked GRE 1656, to be given to her when she reached the age of 7 years.
From 1786 to 1788 Sarah & her parents lived at Eridge & Eridge Mill, Sussex. In 1789 the family moved to East Grinstead.
Sarah married John Hayward on November 22nd, 1804 at East Grinstead. John was born June 6th, 1784 at East Grinstead, the son of John & Elizabeth Hayward. Their first child, Ann, was christened February 10th, 1805 at East Grinstead & after her came 4 sons – Henry, John, William & Robert – followed by 3 more daughters – Mary, Elizabeth & Sarah.
In 1841 Sarah & John, a saddler journeyman, were living at College Lane, Rocks, East Grinstead with their son John Hayward (33), a shoemaker, & his wife Charlotte (34). With them were John & Charlotte’s children May (10), Charlotte (7), Elizabeth Ann (4) & John (1).
Sarah died in Jan-March quarter of 1849 aged 65 at East Grinstead.
The children of Sarah Fry & John Hayward were:
f.1.1 Ann Hayward christened February 10th, 1805 at East Grinstead
f.1.2 Henry Hayward christened June 14th, 1807 at East Grinstead
f.1.3 John Hayward christened November 27th, 1808 at East Grinstead
f.1.4 William Hayward christened April 28th, 1811 at East Grinstead
f.1.5 Robert Hayward christened July 25th, 1813 at East Grinstead
f.1.6 Mary Hayward christened January 28th, 1816 at East Grinstead
f.1.7 Elizabeth Hayward christened October 11th 1818 at East Grinstead
f.1.8 Sarah Hayward christened December 24th, 1820 at East Grinstead
f.1.9 Edward Hayward born July 31st, 1823 & christened October 19th, 1823 at Zion Chapel, Countess of Huntingdons, East Grinstead
John remarried in 1850 to Martha Lucas, born Portsmouth in 1783. In 1851 they were living at Chapel Lane, East Grinstead near to his widowed son John & family. He was still a journeyman saddler.
A death is recorded for John Hayward in Jan-March 1858 & for Martha Hayward in April-June 1858, both at East Grinstead.