Alfred Charles Fry was the third child of William Fry and Esther Blakebrough, born April-June 1877 at Battle, Sussex.
In 1881 Alfred, his parents & 1 sister & 3 brothers were living at 10 Pemberton Rd, Ashford, Kent where his father was a mill grinder.
The family were living at Mill House, Smarden, Ashford in 1891 & Alfred was described as a yardboy.
Alfred was living with his recently widowed mother Esther at Bexhill, Sussex in 1901. He was now an insurance agent. His sister Annie & brothers Arthur & Herbert were still at home.
Alfred married May Florence Barns in February 1903 at Battle. May was born in October-December, 1878 in Tenterden, Kent, the daughter of Mary and John Barns, a photographer and tobacconist.
Kelly’s directory of 1905 lists Alfred Charles as a publican at the Crown & Anchor public house in Brighton, his address being given as 20 Margaret St, Brighton.
In 1911 May was living at 44 Dynevol Road , Tunbridge Wells, Kent, with her 4 year old daughter, Dorothy Ena. There was a 21 year old lodger, Stanley Ashton, a nurseryman. It was noted on the census that May and Alfred had lost another child in infancy. The whereabouts of Alfred in 1911 is unknown.
In November 1914 Alfred enlisted in the Royal Army Medical Corps. His address at that time was given as 50 Lower Stone Street, Maidstone, Kent. During the time Alfred served he became Lance Corporal. He was eventually discharged in February 1919, receiving a pension based on his nervous debility attributable to his army service.
Alfred died on June 15th, 1921. The army pension board was advised of his death by his brother in law, Albert Jeffery (husband of Alfred’s sister, Annie), whose address at this time was 4 Bloom Grove, West Norwood, London. May was also living at this address.
In October 1921 his widow May was considered for a widow’s pension. It was noted on the application that she had remarried, her new husband being Albert H LeGood.
The children of Alfred Charles Fry & May Florence Burns were:
f.184.108.40.206.1 Dorothy Ena Fry born May 1906 in East Grinstead, Sussex