Back to Genealogy homepage
>return to family tree for this person

Harriett Fry [f.2.1.5]

Harriett Fry was the fifth child of John Fry & Harriett Brooker christened November 7th, 1847 at Horsted Keynes, Sussex.

In 1851 Harriett was at home with her family at Hunters (Courtland) Farm, Maresfield & in 1861 she was still at home living at Burnt Chimney, Battle.

In 1871 she was still living at home at Wind Mill, Battle at the age of 23.

In July-Sept 1875 Harriett married Charles Graham Boots in Battle. Charles was the son of Josiah & Jane Boots, christened August 21st, 1846 at Ewhurst, Sussex. Their daughter & only child Olive Ada was born in 1876.

Harriett died at the age of 32 on March 14th, 1880, at Copps Hall, Battle, her father's home.

In 1881 widow Charles was a carpenter living at High St, Battle. With him was daughter Olive, his sister Elizabeth Boots (33), a dressmaker & sister-in-law Mary Fry (37).

Charles was a respected member of the Court of Battle Abbey Foresters, a charitable organization.

Sadly Charles also died at the young age of 38 on April 10th, 1884, his death being registered at Battle.

In 1891 Olive (14) was still living in the Boots family home, 95 High St (Church House), Battle, & with her was her aunt Mary Fry (48) who was described as a lodging house keeper.   

Olive & her aunt Mary were still at the same address in 1901 & Olive was now described as a lodging house assistant.

In 1911 daughter Olive Ada was working as a lady's maid in the household of Lady Charlotte Godolphin Osborne, the daughter of the Sir George Godolphin Osborne, the 8th Duke of Leeds. Their home was Fowlers Park, Hawkhurst, Kent.

Olive continued to be associated with Church House, High St, Battle until at least 1940, when the Hastings & St Leonards Observer of January 27th  advertised the sale of the household furniture & effects.  Olive had given the instruction for the sale by auction.

The children of Harriett Fry & Charles Graham Boots were:

f.2.1.5.1 Olive Ada Boots born July-Sept 1876 at Battle; died March 4th 1961 at Alexandra House, St Leonards-on-Sea, Sussex

 

content copyright unless otherwise stated | terminology detail | acknowledgements & data sources