William Grove was the fourth child of William Grove & Elizabeth Lloyd christened September 15th, 1830 at St John the Baptist, Croydon. William had a twin sister, Elizabeth.
In 1841 William was living at home at Church St, Croydon with his family.
There is a record of a William Grove in 1851 (aged 21) working as a footman for attorney & solicitor Thomas Pule at the Ordnance School, Carshalton, Surrey.
William (signed as Groves) married Sarah Abbott on December 11th, 1853 at St Andrew by the Wardrobe, London. William was a letter carrier for the General Post Office & gave his address as 34 St Andrews Hill. Sarah was the daughter of James Abbott (deceased), a gardener.
In 1854 William & Sarah had a son, Frederick William, who was born at 47 Whiskin St., Clerkenwell, Middlesex on November 15th. At this time William was a letter carrier.
Sarah died sometime before 1860 when William remarried.
The children of William Grove & Sarah Abbott were:
g.8.1 Frederick William Groves born November 15th, 1854 at 47 Whiskin St, Clerkenwell, Middlesex; died April-June 1910 at West Ham
William married Emma Elizabeth Grove on January 7th, 1860, at St Mary’s Marylebone. William, noted as a widower, was now a post office official & his father’s occupation was given as ‘gentleman’. Witnesses at the wedding were Emma’s sisters, Jane Grove & Emily Grove. Emma was born c1833 at Marylebone, the daughter of Elizabeth & Thomas Groves, a coach maker from Oxfordshire.
In 1861 William & Emma were living at 2 South Grove, Mile End Old Town, Stepney where William was a letter carrier for the GPO & Emma was a dressmaker. There were 2 children – Frederick (6) & Annie (6 months). Living with them was William's brother George Grove (17) who was also a letter carrier.
William apparently enjoyed gardening as revealed in a report by the Shoreditch Observer of September 2nd, 1865 on the Floricultural Society show at the Royal Victoria Gardens, Victoria Park. William, of 2 South Grove, had a special mention for his ‘magnificent collection of fruit comprising black Hambro & white grapes, peaches, ‘nectorins’, apples, pears etc as well as some superb frame grown cucumbers’.
In 1871 Emma & William (Guse in Ancestry.co.uk index!) were still at 2 South Grove with son Frederick W, a telegraph clerk for the GPO. William was described as a charge taker for the East District Post Office. With them at the time of the census was Emma’s younger sister Elizabeth Groves (23), a dress maker. William & Emma’s daughters Annie Jane & Emma Sarah (9) were both scholars at the District Aslylum for the Deaf & Dumb, Kent Rd, St George the Martyr, Southark.
In February 1871 William’s home was broken into and an old coat valued at only 1s.6d was stolen from an outhouse. Also the cushions of a chaise in the stable were cut open and all the horse hair, valued at 7s was taken out. Two men were seen near the scene of the crime, and although this was not a major offence it was notable as the men were the last of the ‘Bow banditti’ to be arrested. The gang had committed many such crimes in the neighbourhood. (Lloyd’s Weekly Newspaper, February 5th, 1871)
In 1881 they were still at Mile End but William was an unemployed traveler. Emma was a waistcoat maker as were daughters Annie, now 20 & daughter Emma (19). It was noted that both Annie & Emma were unfortunately deaf & dumb.
By 1891 the family were still at Mile End & now William was a florist. Daughter Emma was still at home. Visiting at the time of the census was daughter Annie who had married Frederick Worcester, an electrical engineer, & son William F (3), also deaf & dumb. Frederick was also deaf & dumb, & at the time of the census he was living in Hammersmith.
William died at Mile End aged 64 in Jan-March, 1897.
There is a death recorded for Emma Elizabeth Grove aged 67 at Mile End in Jan-March 1900.
The children of William Grove & Emma Elizabeth Groves were:
g.8.2 Annie Jane Grove born Oct-Dec 1860 at 2 South Grove, Mile End Old Town; died 1939 in Essex
g.8.3 Emma Sarah Grove born November 21st, 1861 at 2 South Grove, Mile End Old Town & christened December 22nd 1861 at Holy Trinity, Mile End Old Town; died Jan-March 1929 at Stepney