We are grateful to son Richard Horton for information on this page
Richard Frederick Horton was the first child of Alfred Horton & Florence Annie Bunker born March 13th, 1914 at Sunderland, Co Durham.
In 1915 Richard was living at 61 St Leonards St, Sunderland with his mother, his father Alfred having enlisted in the Royal Engineers in that year.
Richard with mother Florence & baby sister Isabella c1916
Richard (known as Dick) was educated at Dame Allens School in Newcastle-upon-Tyne where he did well academically & enjoyed playing rugby. He passed the matriculation exam for Durham University in 1936. His mother, Florence, died in this year. Richard was not allowed to study at University but was expected by his father to work for his living (apparently his upbringing was very strict) & he obtained a position in the local tax office.
In 1937 Richard joined the Army, the Royal Horse Artillery (Kings Troop, C Battery) & was stationed in India when WW2 began. He served as a company clerk in India, North Africa, Palestine & Syria & was honoured for his work with ammunition dumps, being ‘mentioned in dispatches’ in June 1942.
After having been abroad for over 8 years he was repatriated back to England. While at Thorndon Hall & later Warley Barracks he met his future wife, Ellen Norah Corcoran.
Richard married Ellen Norah Corcoran on September 4th,1946 at Brentwood, Essex. Ellen was born September 18th, 1920 in Gevagh, Ireland.
Richard & Ellen's marriage, 1946. Father Alfred Horton is on Richard's right.
After the war Richard entered the teaching profession & first taught at Sutton’s Boys School in Hornchurch & in the early 50s became a remedial teacher at Brentwood School, Essex, later renamed Headly Walter School, where he taught for over 30 years.
Richard & Ellen had 3 children – a daughter & 2 sons.
Richard died on May 8th,1999, aged 85, at Oldchurch Hospital, Romford, Essex. His death certificate states that he was a retired school teacher of 6 The Limes, Brentwood, Essex.
Ellen died on April 4th, 2006, aged 85, at Basildon, Essex.