Charles Lambton Mays was the second child of William Mays & Elizabeth Mays born in 1863 at Markbeech, Chiddingstone, Kent & christened April 12th, 1863 at Cowden, Kent.
In 1871 Charles, his 3 brothers & his parents were living at 12 Portland Place, Cuckfield, Sussex.
In 1881 Charles was working as an assistant hairdresser living at Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. He was boarding with Mary & William Thackara, ‘an artist in hair’ (hairdresser).
Charles married Lydia Larner in April-June 1885 at Henley. Lydia was born April-June 1862 at Henley, the daughter of Ann & Henry Larner, a bricklayer’s labourer.
In 1891 Charles & Lydia were living at Friday St, Henley & Charles was a hairdresser & naturalist. They had 3 children by this time – Henry William (4), George Frederick (2) & Beatrice Elizabeth (1).
Son Henry William sadly died in Oct-December 1893 at Henley, aged just 7 years.
In 1901 Charles & Lydia were living with Charles’ widowed mother Elizabeth who was a laundress at New England Rd, Haywards Heath, Sussex. Charles was still a hair dresser & their 2 children, George & Beatrice were with them. There was also an 8 year old boarder, Joseph W Boden from London.
In 1911 Charles & Lydia had moved to The Oaks Corner Cottage, South Leigh Rd, Emsworth, Hampshire. Charles was now a cowman & poultryman domestic & Lydia was working as a laundress. Son George was a jobbing gardener & daughter Beatrice was a general domestic servant living at home. It was noted on the census that Charles & Lydia had had 6 children, only 2 of whom were still alive.
Daughter Beatrice married William Penfold in 1917 at Westbourne, Sussex.
Lydia died in 1923 at Westbourne, Sussex, aged 61.
Charles died in 1946 at Chichester, Sussex, aged 82.
The children of Charles Lambton Mays & Lydia Larner were:
m.18.104.22.168 Henry William Mays born April-June 1886 at Henley, Oxfordshire; died Oct-December 1893 at Henley
m.22.214.171.124 George Frederick Mays born July-September 1888 at Henley, Oxfordshire
m.126.96.36.199 Beatrice Elizabeth Mays born Jan-March 1890 at Henley, Oxfordshire