Jane Richardson was the fourth child of Thomas Richardson & Eleanor Powell, born 1821 at West Hendon. She was christened April 8th, 1821 at St Michaels, Bishop Wearmouth.
Jane was living at home at the time of the 1841 census at White House farm, Hougton.
On May 22nd, 1843 Jane married Thomas Place at Houghton-le-Spring. Thomas, born c1821 at Houghton-le-Spring, was a stone mason. The Places were apparently a Houghton family as another Place marries into the next generation of Richardsons – Mary Richardson [r.220.127.116.11], daughter of Jane’s brother Thomas Powell Richardson, marries Robert Place of Houghton.
Their first daughter, Eleanor was born in July 1843 at Houghton. She was christened on October 22nd 1843 at St Michaels, Houghton, the curate being A. Duncombe Shafto. Their next daughter, Mary Ann was born in July 1845 & christened at Houghton on the 25th of that month. The curate was then Robert Shepherd.
In 1851 Jane & Thomas, a stone mason, were living at the Market Place, Houghton-le-Spring with their 2 daughters, Eleanor & Mary Ann.
Sadly a few years later both parents were dead. Thomas was buried on October 26th, 1854 at Houghton & Jane on May 21st, 1855 also at Houghton.
Mary Ann went to live with her aunt Elizabeth Richardson at Blue House farm at Seaton, where she was recorded in 1861. There was no record of Eleanor at this time, although an Ellen Place aged 14 (born Houghton-le-Spring) was a house servant for the Dobson family in Houghton.
Mary Ann married John Isherwood, a stone mason, in 1866 in Sunderland.
The children of Jane Richardson & Thomas Place were:
r.18.104.22.168 Eleanor Place born July 26th, 1843 at Houghton-le-Spring &
christened October 22nd at St Michaels, Houghton
r.22.214.171.124 Mary Ann Place born July 11th, 1845 at White House, Houghton-le-Spring & christened July 25th, 1845 at St Michaels, Houghton; died May 28th, 1914 at 45 Mainsforth Terr, Sunderland