Eleanor Richardson was the second child of Thomas Powell Richardson & Mary Wilson, born February 27th , 1850 at 5.30a.m. at Burdon Cottage, Warden Law & christened March 31st, 1850 at St Mary the Virgin, Seaham.
The family lived at Burdon Cottage, Burdon at the time of the 1851 census but by 1861 they had moved to Warden Law Hill House.
Eleanor (known as Ellen) was working as a housemaid at Burdon Hall, Burdon at the 1871 census. Her employers were 2 spinsters, Ann (68) & Mary (57) Gregson, the Gregson family having lived at Burdon Hall for a number of years.
By 1881 Ellen is still unmarried and has returned to her parents home at the Sun Inn, Market Place, Houghton-le-Spring. A 5 year old girl, Annie, appears on the census at this time although some confusion exists as to the relationship to the head of household. She is described as a daughter of Thomas, but in the 1891 census she is listed as daughter of Ellen.
By 1891 Ellen has moved to Sunderland St, Houghton-le-Spring and with her is Annie, registered as her daughter. Ellen is noted as living on her own means, and Annie is a knitting machinist.
In 1901 Ellen (50) & Annie (25) were living at Elizabeth St, Houghton-le-Spring and lodging with them was Edward Broderick, a cartman, who was also lodging with them back in 1891.
In 1911 Ellen was living with her daughter Annie, who had married William Aungles, a stoker at the waterworks in 1904. (William was the son of Ann Bage & William Aungles, a waterworks stoker.) They were living at Stoneygate Waterworks, Houghton-le-Spring.
Ellen died on May 27th, 1914 at Stoneygate, Waterworks Cottages, Houghton-le-Spring. Probate was granted at Durham on July 8th, 1914 to Charles William Smith, confectioner. (Ellen’s sister Mary [r.184.108.40.206] had a daughter Elizabeth who had married Charles William Smith.). Ellen’s effects amounted to £156.0s.2d.
The children of Eleanor Richardson were:
r.220.127.116.11.1 Annie Richardson born c1876 at Houghton-le-Spring