Ann Stephenson was the second child of John Stephenson & Frances Estill born Oct-December 1851 at Mickleby, Nr Whitby, N. Yorks.
By 1861 her father had died & her mother had remarried. Ann was living with her older sister Hannah & mother, now Frances Trueman, but her step-father, William, who was a mariner was not at home.
In 1871 Ann was working as a nursery maid at Meadow Field, Ruswarp for Dorothy & Henry Simpson, a banker & land owner & their family at Meadow Field, Ruswarp, Whitby.
Ann could not be found in the 1881 & 1891 censuses.
In 1901 Ann, now known as Annie, was working as a school mistress & living with her was her cousin Mary Stephenson [s.7.1.4], who was working as her housekeeper. They were at 7 Langdale Terrace, Ruswarp, Whitby.
By 1911 Annie had retired from being a school mistress & was now running an 12 roomed lodging house at 7 Langdale Terrace, Ruswarp. With her was a ‘cousin’ Lisla Hooper (20) who was born in Whitby. Lisla was in fact the daughter of Annie’s cousin Mary Ann Harland [s.7.2.5]. Annie had 2 lodgers, Prof Henry Ellershaw, professor of English at Durham University, & his wife Edith, & also a servant.
Annie died on July 13th, 1919 at 7 Langdale Terrace, Ruswarp, Whitby. Administration of her estate was granted on August 22nd, 1919 to nephew Herbert Fish, a millwright & machine maker (son of Annie’s sister Hannah). Annie’s effects were £460.18s.1d.