George Stephenson was the fifth child of Joseph Stephenson & Jane Carter born 1862 at Low Worsall & christened October 19th, 1862 at St Martin’s, Kirklevington.
George lived at home at Low Worsall until at least 1871.
In 1881 George was working as a ‘butcher improver’ with William Sanderson, a butcher & dealer. George was living with the Sanderson family at 25 Portrack Lane, Stockton-on-Tees.
Bulmer’s 1890 directory for Middlesborough lists George as a pork butcher of 67 Newport Rd with stall 53 in the butchers’ market.
By 1891 George was still living at 67 Newport Rd, Middlesbrough with his sister Jane who had married William Stainsby, a builder & family. George was working as a butcher & also living there was an assistant butcher, Robert Imeson.
George was lodging in Middlesbrough at the time of the 1901 census, at 3 Vaughan St, the house of a 61 year old widow Margaret Hooper. (His birthplace was mistakenly written as Scotland in the census.) Also lodging there were 2 more butchers – William Shaddock (29) & George Downing (30).
In 1911 George had moved to Front St, Quarrington Hill, Coxhoe, Co Durham & was an assistant butcher. He was living with niece Nellie (25) (daughter of George’s sister Mary [s.9.5.1]) & her husband Featherstone Adamson (29), a butcher. George's sister Mary Foord [s.9.5.1] & family were living nearby in Running Waters, Shadforth at this time.
George died July 24th, 1917, aged 54 & was buried alongside his father
Joseph at St Cuthberts church, Shadforth. In the same plot were buried his
sister Mary & her husband John Foord.