George Smeed was the fourth child of William Smeed and Caroline Turner, born May 12th, 1821 and christened June 10th, 1821 at St Mary Magdalene, Cowden, Kent.
In 1841 George was one of 10 children living at home, which was Brooklands Farm, East Grinstead, where his father was a farmer.
In 1851 George was still at home and helping his father on Brooklands farm.
George married Mary Brooker on February 2nd, 1856 at St George the Martyr, Southwark, Surrey. They both gave their address as Suffolk Street and George was a carpenter (his father’s profession was also given as a carpenter). Witnesses at the wedding were John Brooker and Prudence D Dunn. Mary was christened September 16th, 1810 at St. Swithin’s Church East Grinstead, the daughter of Elizabeth Haizelden and Benjamin Brooker, a farmer.
In 1861 George was living on his own in the High Street, East Grinstead, and described as an agricultural labourer. Elsewhere in East Grinstead, at Goringe Field, his wife Mary was noted as head of the family and with her was a 43 year old agricultural labourer Michael Underwood.
George and Mary were both together living on the High Street, East Grinstead in 1871. George was now a farmer of 36 acres and with them was a 5 year old niece, Alice Smeed, daughter of George’s brother Edward Smeed and his wife Sarah Ann.
By 1881 George, Mary and niece Alice were living at Belle Vue Cottage, East Grinstead and George was still farming 36 acres.
Mary died on September 15th, 1885 at Belle Vue Cottage, East Grinstead, aged 75. She was buried in Queen’s Road Cemetery, East Grinstead.
Widowed George and niece Alice were still living at Belle Vue Cottage in 1891, and George was now described as a retired farmer.
George died, aged 76, on November 3rd, 1897 at Belle View Cottage, East Grinstead. He was buried alongside Mary at Queen’s Road cemetery. Probate was granted on December 10th 1897 in London to George Edward Smeed and James Smeed, both farmers. His effects were £1777.1s.2d.