James Smeed was the sixth child of William Smeed and Caroline Turner christened June 12th, 1825 at St Mary Magdalene, Cowden, Kent.
In 1841 James was one of 10 children living at home, which was Brooklands Farm, East Grinstead, where his father was a farmer.
In 1851 James was still at home and helping his father on Brooklands farm.
By 1861 James’ parents William and Caroline had moved to Fairlight Farm, East Grinstead. William was now a farmer of 260 acres employing 6 men. James (noted as being deaf on the census), was still at home and working on the farm.
James was still working at his father’s farm at Fairlight in 1871.
On his father’s death in 1880 James was an executor of his will.
By 1881 James had retired from farming & was lodging with Joseph & Ann Chandler at London Rd, East Grinstead.
James died on December 1st, 1889 at Glen-vue, East Grinstead, aged 64. His will was proved on January 14th, 1890 by his brother George, a farmer of East Grinstead. James’ personal estate was £332.2s.6d.